Survey results in strong response

Larry Marczynski

Administrators sent an email to students, parents and staff on Monday that contained a survey on whether they preferred the term schedule (4×4) or the block schedule.

It was apparent to some that — based on the survey’s wording — the administration wants to keep the term schedule.

“It’s very clear that the administration did not take feedback from students and staff, or they didn’t care enough to take it into account,” junior Esteban Macias said.

The email explained various vocabulary and then included 11 advantages and four disadvantages of the term (4×4) schedule, which is four classes daily for nine weeks.

“The email went on to list a very wide variety of advantages of the 4 block schedule and only mentioned four disadvantages even though there were countless more,” Macias said.

The questions in the survey attached to this email are also a point of controversy.

“The questions were worded with an obvious bias and did not allow any free response, limiting you to choosing an option from 1-4. It was so bad,” Macias said

The email also didn’t include any advantages of the block schedule, which is eight classes over 18 weeks. Students attend four classes on Green Day, then four other classes on White Day during the alternating schedule.

To Macias this email was an outrage.

“It’s just incredibly disappointing to see the administration twist something like a student survey into something so self-serving in order to claim they had the support of students later on. It’s just frustrating,” Macias said.