Nussbaum: Term schedule is an endless Groundhog Day

Josie Nussbaum, Photo Editor

The movie “Groundhog Day” has been my life this past semester. 

Every day I wake up, take my niece to school, go to English, then Yearbook, then Math, then lab aide. I’ve been doing that for the past three months and will continue to do so for five more weeks.

With term scheduling, many students are like me — they feel burned out beyond belief with their day-to-day life. We have no motivation left to do the things we’ve been doing for the entire first semester.

We wake up each day and do the same thing over and over again. 

When we had block scheduling, we had a chance to take a break from the classes we had the day before.

And teachers have really not adjusted to the term schedules like students have had to. They give their students the same amount of workload with half the amount of time to do it. 

Students used to be given work and it wouldn’t be due until at least two days later. Now, when assigned the exact same amount of work, it’s due the next day. 

On top of all of that, teachers expect their class to be our top priority, even though we have three other classes. Plus, most students have jobs and are athletes balancing everything together. 

Term scheduling harms year-long classes. 

Yearbook and newspaper are classes that cover events all through the year, and must have enough to students in each class to keep it running. 

Choir and band students had to give up an extra extracurricular so they could take it for the full year to be ready for concerts and competitions. 

AP students who take their core classes first semester don’t even take the AP exam until spring. At that point, it’s harder to remember what they’ve learned.

Term scheduling needs to go or else I feel I will never escape this never-ending Groundhog’s Day loop.