Bullying provides similar stories among victims

Jewel Hardin, Zyler Price

In the halls, during lunch, and even online, getting bullied is one thing many students have in common.

Some choose to bully others just for their own amusement, while others do it because they feel bad about themselves.

The question is what can students do when they get bullied?

The victims of bullying often have many stories to share.

“(I was bullied) mainly about my weight and now it’s about my makeup when I would do my makeup all the time,” sophomore Trinity Guzman said. “Mentally it put me in a very bad place.”

Crude comments, mockery and even physical violence are some of the actions taken towards students.

Most schools offer counseling and administrators and encourage students to reach out. 

“It’s just trying to build rapport with students, whether it’s getting out in the lunchroom, just trying to make yourself as available as possible so that kids feel like you care to try and build that relationship,” said Steve Stallbaumer, one of the school’s counselors.

Other students have a different perspective.

“(The school should) actually give them punishments for bullying instead of just ignoring it,” junior Savannah Hackett said.

Bullying not only affects the day to day life of a student but even their mental state, so far as wanting to take drastic measures. 

“Mentally, it affected me to the point where I wanted to kill myself and I started cutting myself a lot and it hurt myself a lot,” sophomore Summer Cook said. “I went through a lot of mental breakdowns and a bad mental state,” 

This bullying Cook went through affected her so much that she ended up moving schools.

Bullying can affect the mental state and a student’s views on themselves.