Is it a good idea to go to school in bad weather?

Haley Waughtal, Content Editor

Waking up on Thursday kids were met with a snowy wonderland and -9 windchill. What dangers lie beyond these conditions? And what do students think about it, should school be cancelled?

“I feel like if they are going to have school when it is that cold they should offer more transportation options because a lot of kids have parents that work in the morning but live too close to ride the bus so they have to walk. There are also kids who probably can’t afford or don’t have the resources to dress themselves properly for that weather and are too embarrassed to ask for help,” junior Delia Utley said. “I think the school should do more to help the kids and offer more available options for kids with no rides, not appropriate clothing etc. so we can be prepared for that type of weather.” 

“A lot of people walk to school because their parents can’t provide transportation for some reason and when it’s this cold it’s dangerous for them to be walking especially long ways,” junior Mikaela Cornell said.

“It’s not a good idea to go to school in a -9 windchill because if a person is out there long enough they could get sick or worse , it’s also a road hazard even more with younger new drivers , therefore we shouldn’t have to go to school,” senior Raeah Barnes said. 

“I think that it’s a bad idea because a lot of kids don’t have access to the type of clothing to protect them from that type of weather and probably feel embarrassed to ask for help from resources also some have to walk cause they live to close for busses to come get them,” senior Emma Shelton said.