Inflation affects students in hard times

Haley Waughtal, Content Editor

Over the past two months society has seen a large rise in prices. From food, gas, even the Dollar Store becoming the $1.25 store. Prices have noticeably risen.

According to the most recent Consumer Price Index(CPI) all items increased by 7.5%. This is the largest increase since the 1980s. 

The population that goes unnoticed at this time are the students with financial responsibilities. A majority of students are paying for gas, car insurance, phone bills, and other financial responsibilities while working a part time job and being full time in school. 

This causes stress because they do not have any more time to give up for their job to save more. 

“I feel like for one gas price, with them being so expensive and everyone in high school having to struggle because we can only work a certain amount of hours,” junior Mackenzie Sarabia said. “It’s really difficult because you can’t go anywhere and it’s just harder on people trying to get to work and stuff to make more money.”

The struggle with money also adds on to the mental health problems teens have to face. 

“Most of us students above sophomore drive ourselves here and it’s pretty expensive. Its a lot of work on the mental state too because you have to struggle with homework and working your shifts. A lot of people struggle,” junior Mikaela Cornell said.