NCAA Tournament opens doors for journalists

Aubrey Nguyen, Content Editor

Journalism adviser Joanna Chadwick, along with four students, will become professional reporters as they head to Wichita’s INTRUST Bank Arena for the college women’s basketball tournaments.

Juniors Agness Mbezi and Cooper Chadwick, as well as seniors Conley Hamblin and Janeah Berry will be at the Arena for the two basketball games and two days of practice from Friday through Monday.

“I’m really excited. We’re going to be doing media coverage of the practice and games and watching some really good basketball,” Hamblin said. “We’re going to the women’s tournament, which is going to give me an interesting outlet to learn about the sport and watch some teams I’m not as familiar with.”

This event will be an eye-opening opportunity, as they get the same amount of access as other media reporters.

“We’ll be able to go to places no one else can go. They’ll be able to watch the games, we’ll come up with notes for the media covering the tournament,” Chadwick said. “It’s just a really cool behind the scenes opportunity that is connected to journalism.”

Although the students are only in high school, the standard is just as high as any other journalist in the arena. 

“It’ll be high pressure, there will be deadlines. It’s very professional,” Chadwick said. “There are so many rules. If you post on social media, you’re done. They will pull your credentials and say you cannot work. You can’t cheer, you can’t get autographs, you can’t fangirl or fanboy; that’s a really important part of that unbiased journalism thing.

“Being at a massive event, it’s really an incredible experience and just a different, sort of real-world experience that they can do.”