Déjà vu

Laurisa Rooney, Photo Editor

Déjà vu: the uncanny sensation that you’ve already experienced something, even when you never have. A phenomenon that many struggle to explain. 

“I think déjà vu might be something you have seen before, or something that was in your subconscious mind that you didn’t realize was there,” sophomore Lauren Miller said.

“I think déjà vu is when you think of something, and it actually happens,” freshman Trinity Smith said. 

A recollection of a memory or a feeling you have already had this happen before. Something you might have this off sensation about. 

“I had a dream the day before I was driving to Missouri and it was where I had had this huge party and a huge mansion, and when I was driving there, I saw the same mansion that I saw in my dream, and I could tell there was a party going on there,” Smith said. 

“It was kinda simple, but I was sitting at my kitchen table and my bucket hat was folded and laying on the table and I just looked at it, and I just got déjà vu and that was it, it was just my bucket hat sitting there it was weird to me,” Miller said. 

A feeling that gives an indescribable feeling or sense of the unknown. 

“I just kind of paused for a moment, I guess I didn’t really feel anything. I just kind of had this recognition of “oh that’s weird I think I’ve seen that before”,” Miller said. 

“It was kinda unreal to me, it was creepy and I was just stunned for a little,” Smith said. 

Many think déjà vu could be linked to something otherworldly, while speculations and conspiracy theories float around. 

“I’ve heard about the theory that when babies are in the womb or sleeping, they dream of their whole life ahead of them, but I’m not too sure about the conspiracy theories. Nobody really knows what a baby thinks about when they are asleep, and that we are really just asleep,” Smith said. 

“I believe that déjà vu is something that you might have seen in a past life, like from reincarnation,” Miller said. 

Most people have had a situation with déjà vu and question its experience and weird feeling. What déjà vu situation has happened to you that kept you pondering what happened?