TikTok’s “Orbeez Challenge” wreaks havoc at schools

Laurisa Rooney, Photo Editor

Schools worldwide have found that their students are participating in social media challenges. These challenges seem to influence students to break laws and possibly injure themselves and their classmates. 

In early September many schools reported that their bathrooms had been vandalized. The trend called “Devious Licks” started on the famous social media app TikTok, where creators gain clout by stealing toilet paper, doors, teacher supplies, soap dispensers, and many more items found in schools. 

However, a new viral social media trend called “the Orbeez Challenge” was recently introduced on Tiktok. The trend involves people shooting gel-like balls out of a gel gun or an airsoft gun at students and citizens. 

“I first found out about the Orbeez challenge with the Incident in the parking lot. There was a student with one of the weapons,” security officer Kelley Baney said. 

“I think its really stupid because, I mean, all these kids are messing around with fake guns. We already saw that one kid got arrested for doing the challenge. I mean if you do it in your backyard with your friends, I suppose that’s fine, but doing it in public to other people, it’s just rude and disrespectful,” freshman Kaylee Robins said. 

This challenge has caused damage to school property and many students have endured injuries. Outside of schools, those competing in this challenge have shot citizens with Orbeez. 

According to WVLT8 news in eastern Tennessee, a student was walking home from Powell Middle School in Powell, TN when a silver BMW approached the victim and fired shots from a gel gun. Police charged a 17-year-old with assault and they were taken into custody. The offender was ordered to pay court fees and medical expenses and must complete community service.  

Principal Tim Hamblin sent out an email to all USD 260 students, staff and parents regarding the “Orbeez Challenge” and the consequences that would follow if they were to participate. 

“You know a student made a choice without thinking. I mean overall, as long as you didn’t hit anybody, nobody got hurt, but the potential for that is still there, so it’s not good,” Baney said.

“I personally think at school it’s not necessary, but at home you can have fun with it. It’s also a little dramatic, because they’re Orbeez and they can’t really hurt anyone, but I think it’s good that they are making it a rule,” freshman Jordan Sanders said.

There are many challenges TikTok has influenced among people, but what other challenges are schools going to have to put a stop to?