Timeline of grenade incident

Chrissy Schroeder and Madison Quade

Wednesday, Jan. 25

9:29-10:53 a.m. — A student took photo of classmate with a grenade and posted on Snapchat. 

2:27 p.m. — Assistant principal Corey Gabbert informed of the photo.

2:32 p.m.  — Student with grenade brought into the office and revealed grenade was not live. Student Resource Officers brought in, as well. SRO Amanda Stitt takes grenade to an undisclosed location and contacted Derby police department.

2:35 p.m. — Principal Tim Hamblin asked to have the fire alarm pulled — due to the phones not working within DHS on Tuesday or Wednesday — and announced a fire drill. Many students and staff left belongings behind.

2:42 p.m. — Firefighters, Derby police and Wichita bomb squad arrived at the school and advised the school to remain evacuated while they investigated further.

2:45 p.m. — Security went to fire drill designated areas to tell students and staff to go to the parking lot and wait about an hour to get back into the building. Students could go home or get on buses, but had to walk around the perimeter of the building to get to them.

2:51 p.m. — “Derby High School is being evacuated due to a suspicious device being investigated. Ensuring the safety of our students and staff is our first priority. More information will be sent to families and staff shortly as soon we gather details and ensure the school is secure,” Derby Public Schools emailed.

2:52 p.m. — Some students allowed to enter the building through the Panther Learning Center. 

2:56 p.m. — “Derby High School is being evacuated due to a suspicious device being investigated. We do not believe these to be an active threat but ensuring the safety of our students and staff is our first priority. More information will be sent to families and staff shortly as soon we gather details and ensure the school is secure,” Derby Public Schools emailed.

2:57 p.m. — “Police have determined that this was not a live item or threat. Because of this, students were allowed to re-enter the building to gather their personal items,” district wrote in a statement. “We appreciate the diligent student who reported seeing an alarming image as well as the immediate response of our school staff and police department. Thank you for your understanding and patience as we worked through this unexpected end to the school day.”

3:02 p.m. — Students allowed to enter parts of the building, including the Panther Learning Center. Assistant principal Shane Seeley said, “if you need to grab stuff go in through L hall.” Students were not allowed to go through the commons area and could only exit through downstairs doors. 

3:17 p.m.  — The buses left the school. 

3:28 p.m. — “At approximately 2:37 PM today, a student reported seeing an image on Snapchat of another student having a grenade at Derby High School. This was immediately investigated and the student in question shared that the device in the image was not live. The Derby Police Department was notified and the Wichita Police bomb squad was brought in. Police advised the school to be evacuated while they ensured there was no active threat. Police have determined that this was not a live item or threat. Because of this, students were allowed to re-enter the building to gather their personal items.

We appreciate the diligent student who reported seeing an alarming image as well as the immediate response of our school staff and police department. Thank you for your understanding and patience as we worked through this unexpected end to the school day,” Derby Public Schools emailed.

Thursday, Jan. 26

7:48 a.m. — Students sent to homeroom to grab belongings and wait there.

8:01 a.m.  – After leading the pledge of allegiance, Hamblin explained what happened.

8:05 a.m. — Students released to first block. 

8:10 a.m. – Classes continued as normal.