Student Involvement

Madison Quade, Copy Editor

Last week was spirit week at Derby leading up to the Winter Olympics pep rally. There were a handful of students who participated in it.

“I didn’t do spirit week,” junior Emma Lay said. “I also didn’t go to the pep rally.”

The Winter Olympics pep rally had a low number of students in the senior class section and not much more in the junior section.

Over the last few years, student involvement has gone down, and not just in the Derby 

district.

Andover Central High School’s winter dance was canceled because only about 20 people bought tickets.

So far the Snow Ball dance has sold around 300 tickets with one day left to purchase tickets.

“I do plan to go to the Snow Ball dance, but I haven’t gotten my ticket yet because I need to save up some more cash to buy a ticket,” freshman Gloria Contreas said.

The student section at basketball games have been extremely low compared to three years ago. Even the student section at football games is smaller than usual.

“They’re usually pretty small (crowds) for girls varsity (basketball), junior varsity and freshman. They get a little bigger for boys varsity, though,” freshman Cameron Wilson said.

Studies show that student involvement boosts academic performance and can help with social life skills. 

The question is how can we boost student involvement?

Maybe more spirit days that relate to pop culture or club promotions around the school.

“I would say add more fun ideas, like less kid-like,” junior Nicole Davis said.