DHS new principal announced

Madison Quade, Copy Editor

Gretchen Pontious is being recommended to be DHS’s principal at the June 12 school board meeting.

“I am very excited for her to start. She did an amazing job at Park Hill, and I’m very excited to see what she has to offer for Derby,” said Karlie Demel, who will be a sophomore in the fall.

Pontious will replace Tim Hamblin, who resigned to take a job in Wichita Public Schools.

Pending board approval, Pontious will begin her duties on July 1 but will spend some time transitioning alongside Hamblin in June.

“I am thrilled to have the honor of returning to Derby High School and serving as the school’s next principal,” Pontious wrote in the announcement email. “I look forward to this new role and supporting our students, staff and community. Leading a new team of assistant principals, continuing to instill traditions, consistent communication and ensuring academic success are a few of my top priorities.”

Pontious graduated from Kansas State in 2009 with a bachelor’s degree of Arts in Elementary Education.

Later in 2016 she earned her Masters of Arts in Educational Theory and Practice from Arkansas State, followed by Building Leadership Endorsement in 2020 from Fort Hays State.

Pontious served as a department chair and teacher at DHS before moving to Park Hill Elementary where she was principal for the last three years. Pontious was also a math teacher in Rose Hill for two years, Center Director at Mathnasium for one year and a math teacher in Arkansas City for three years.

In early May a survey was sent out to students, staff, and the communities to see what their biggest priorities are in a new principal. Some of the responses included engaging with students, staff, parents and the community, focusing on security, respects DHS tradition.

“My main priority in a new principal is caring about Derby and keeping its root traditions while changing things that need to be changed,” Demel said.