Football earns season’s first win in dominant fashion

When senior nose guard John Gadwood suffered an ankle injury late in the first quarter Friday night, sophomore Houston Bowlin got a chance to help the Panthers get their first win of the season 63-0 over visiting Salina South.

“(In my mind I was saying) my time is now, to show that I can provide and play a big role on this team,” sophomore Houston Bowlin said. 

Bowlin and junior Jackson Williams had to step up to the task at hand. Both play the nose guard position. Defensive line coach Derek Goble sent in Bowlin in the heat of the moment. 

“Goble is basically holding a tryout to see who will start, and get more snaps,” Williams said. 

Gadwood forced a fumble early on before his injury. Bowlin and Williams had big shoes to fill.

“(When he got hurt) it gave me an opportunity to show what I can do at the varsity level,” Bowlin said. 

After giving up 33 points in the opener, the defense got the shutout over Salina South.

The offense also showcased its running game, which had been stymied in the opener.

The Panthers had 349 rushing yards compared to the 58 gained on Sept. 1. They also had five rushing touchdowns, including three from senior running back Derek Hubbard, and one apiece from senior quarterback Braxton Clark, freshman Arieus Finley and sophomore Krystian Dorsey.

Clark also had a 17-yard touchdown pass to junior tight end Da’Saahn Brame and had a big time scoring run, going 63 yards.

The Panthers play host to Bishop Carroll (1-1) on Sept. 15.