Page 4 – Seeing Double: Junior Isabella Nikolova, senior Ayanna Wright’s strong connection is impossible to miss

On and off the tennis court, senior Ayanna Wright and junior Isabella Nikolova have a bond like no other. 

“I would say that Ayanna is definitely one of the best doubles partner I’ve ever played with,” Nikolova said. “We first met at middle school tennis, and ever since, we have always had a great connection on and off the court.”

Through the highs and lows of each match, Nikolova and Wright are there for each other.

“One thing I would say about Isabella is that she’s someone you can really rely on whether it’s on the court or off the court,” Wright said. “If I’m down or slacking, she will be the person to tell me, “OK, let’s pick it up, let’s go.” And she is always there to help us get to a win if it’s a tight game.”

In a meet in September, Wright and Nikolova had to forfeit a match. 

“I was really sad about that because I don’t like to lose,” Wright said. “She was there to reassure me that ‘I would rather you be okay than us have to play games.’”

Their friendship and sportsmanship have affected their teammates.

“I’m at practice with them every day, and they’re always fun to be around,” sophomore Karlie Demel said.

Freshman Emma Flaharty agreed.

“They’re really nice and helpful, and they’re just good teammates,” she said.

Not only do Nikolova and Wright impress their younger teammates, but their coach as well.

“They are both natural leaders, and the team respects their dedication, abilities and humility,” coach Kristen Reiger said. “I am thankful to have them on the team for the girls to look up to.”

The bond between Wright and Nikolova has grown stronger throughout the season.

“They’re best friends,”  Flaharty said. “They’re able to communicate really well, and it helps them move around and get to everything.”

Reiger enjoys coaching the duo and watching them grow as athletes. 

“Isabella is relentless in the best possible way,” Regier said. “She never gives up, and that tenacity compels others to model it. Ayanna has an ability to inspire that is second to none. She is supportive, encouraging and consistent as a leader, as (a) doubles partner and as a teammate.”