Varsity boys soccer defeats Maize South who were previously undefeated

In the Wichita-area, Maize South is one of the cream of the crop teams in soccer.

The Maize South boys went undefeated and won the Class 5A in 2022 and had a 32-game winning streak heading into its game with the Panthers on Oct. 5.

The Panthers beat Maize South 3-2, the second unbeaten team they beat last week.

“We went through legitimately probably the biggest win we’ve had since 2018,” coach Paul Burke said. “Like when we went to the Final Four (and won at Washburn Rural.)

“Probably one of the biggest wins at home we’ve had in a long, long, long, long time.”

The Panthers also handed Newton its first loss on Oct. 3.

“I mean, (Maize South is) legit. We played great. It was kind of like against Newton – we talked about or I talked about executing the game plan, being organized, be disciplined, don’t make mistakes. We did all of that.”

As long as the Panthers did the right things, the little things, then the game would be even – and it was. It was 0-0 at the half, but then the Panthers came out scoring.

They got a goal with 35 minutes to go, 34 minutes to go and at 27 minutes remaining.

For a stretch of about 15 minutes the team dominated. Three goals were made by seniors Beckam Kantakule and Riley Beasley and junior Leo Fernandez.

“We kind of didn’t show everything in the first half and kind of hit him with some stuff in the second half that they might not have been expecting. It worked in our favor,” Burke said.

In the first half, the Panthers played a little more conservative with the ball, focusing on defense. The second half was the complete opposite.

“We really wanted to attack once we got through the first half, and it was 0-0. We thought that was kind of that proving to the guys that we are good enough to be in the game. We didn’t want to go out too aggressive, and maybe they score,” Burke said.

During the second half, the Panthers used their speed, which allowed them to create space to get in behind when Maize South moved higher up the field.

“That’s where Leo (Fernandez) was hurting them a lot with his speed – he was getting in behind all day,” Burke said. “He created a lot of the chances and then Riley Beasley on top of that, those two guys really stretched the game. And they had to change things like they moved guys from up top to come back because they were faster. And It moved the guy from in the back to go up top to kind of rough some things up and be different.”

This action plan caused Maize South to change what they wanted to do as well.

“I mean, that’s why you know, you’re winning the game when they have to change what they’re doing,” Burke said.

Senior goalkeeper Ethan Young was a big factor with two huge saves in the second half.

“He probably had five huge saves just coming out and being big, being loud, being vocal. He’s probably ultimately the difference maker, let alone us scoring goals,” Burke said.

Then there was a penalty kick.

“It was a handball, was off of a corner kick … just a guy was in the wrong place at the wrong time. (The) ball hit him in the hand, they get to PK. They score it,” Burke said.

Tensions increased from that point.

“I tend to try to stay as calm as I possibly can. Because I’ve learned if I’m different they’ll start to act different,” Burke said. “I don’t think I was ever really nervous ever until about the last seven minutes.

“… it was like a weird time, it was like time just stopped and it was like every second took a minute, every minute seemed like it was an hour, and then the last PK happened (as Maize South got within 3-2).

“Again, 1:50 left and then it was just scramble mode – have everybody all hands on deck, yell and scream and make the time go as fast as it possibly could.“