The Student News Site of Derby High School

Panther's Tale

Panther's Tale

Panther's Tale

Page 1 – All about the jazz for DHS trio: Musicians started performing professionally in 2022

Set up.

Sound check.

Test. Test.

Junior Kendall Chance, who plays the saxophone, Ian Knickrehm, the bassist, and senior William Fischer, the guitarist. 

Also known as the Jazz Cats.

The band has been together since October 2022.

“I had the idea of the band, but it was a group effort getting it started between me and the two guys in our group,” Chance said. 

The band meets once a week to work on tunes for upcoming gigs.

“We have to balance trying to find gigs with our schedules with school and sports and such, so we have played around five or six gigs in the time we’ve been together,” Chance said.

The group of three has memorable gigs that have made the experience even more special. 

“My favorite memory has to be our first gig at someone’s house in their garage,” Chance said. “We got to experience playing for people for the first time in a very welcoming environment.”

So far, most of the band’s gigs have environments with a music appreciation.

“I think the best memory I had with the Jazz Cats was when we went to the Allen house, the Frank Lloyd Wright’s Allen House,” Fischer said. “That was probably our best gig, for sure. It was just a really cool space, and it was just fun playing with the guys.”

The Jazz Cats have a website and social media where they keep upcoming gigs and photos from previous events. 

“We’ll probably have social media posts when we are having a gig, and people can just show up and listen to us play,” Fischer said. 

Gigs with peers of the same age who live and love music make the experience memorable. 

“I think we just want to be recognized since the band isn’t one of the main aspects of all the sports at the high school,” Chance said. “We want to get better as musicians but also get ourselves out there for other opportunities to come in the future.”