Page 4 opinions – Embracing therapeutic aspects of reading

When I was a kid, I refused to read a book. Even if I had one in hand, I would just stare at the pages until I got bored enough and put it away.

Of course, there was the occasional book that I would read here and there. But there would always be such big gaps between my reading sessions that I eventually gave up on the book. 

All that changed with one trip to Target.

I wandered over to the book section and I saw a book, “A Court of Thorns and Roses,”  that had been really popular on TikTok. I figured it wouldn’t be too bad if I tried to read it.

But let me tell you, that book was amazing.

I read the first book in a couple days and finished the series within the next couple weeks.  I loved the beauty of the world that the author created and the characters’ development as well.

That’s what sparked my interest and my unhealthy addiction to reading.

I’m to the point where I use Booktok – a book-oriented community on TikTok – suggests books. It helps build my to-be-read list, which is getting out of hand at the moment.

I’ve really developed a hobby for reading. I enjoy fantasy, dystopian and romance novels because I find comfort in them. I’m currently reading “Fourth Wing,” and I’m super excited since I’ve heard good things about it on TikTok.

Some of my favorites include “The Hunger Games” and “Shatter Me.” When I read those books, I felt like I was actually there and felt that I could connect to the stories that were being told.