Page 1 – Maintaining Motivation: Counselors share ways to stay motivated during the spring

Picture this: it’s August, and after a long, relaxing summer, you tell everyone that this is your year. 

However, once you burn out, it’s very hard to get back on track.

When you overestimate your abilities or overwork yourself, mental roadblocks are bound to appear.

Around this time of year, that starts to happen for kids and adults.

“Sometimes in the winter, kids just slow down because they’re not getting enough sun, they’re not getting out, not being active as much; we see a decrease in academics.” counselor Joaquin Zapata said. 

Although it hits students pretty hard, teachers are also affected.

“As a teacher, I definitely struggle with motivation — especially right now during the third nine weeks when it’s been cold and short days, but they are getting longer and warmer, and I just want to be outside,” Zoology teacher Meghan Alexander said.

The COVID-19 pandemic put so many people into a rut.

Working from home is a huge adjustment for people who are used to going somewhere else for work or school, and it is a huge challenge for many who need a bigger boundary between work and home life.

With everyone being forced to stay home, people’s inspiration and love for sports and extracurricular activities was very low. 

Clubs used to be a lot more full.

There are many easy ways to get knocked off of your schedule.

“When you’re not organized, or you miss a lot of school, that decreases your motivation because you feel like you’re in a hole and you can’t get out of it,” counselor Laci Guthery said. “As the school year goes on, motivation is affected. Just because it’s not new anymore, it’s not the beginning anymore.” 

At the end of spring break, many people posted on their stories about how they didn’t want to come back to school.

Many people are juggling school, jobs, and sports or extracurricular activities, along with the other responsibilities of life.

Though it could seem difficult to get back on track at times, there are many ways that you can help yourself or get help from others; especially the counselors.

“Setting goals for yourself, keeping a calendar or an agenda, making sure you’re organized, or even just getting exercise would help with motivation.” Guthery said.

If you’re having trouble figuring it out yourself, never hesitate to ask.

“Everyone’s different. If you’re having trouble, come see your counselor. Even if it’s just to touch base. Get stuff off of your chest. We might give you some tips on how to jump-start your motivation.” Zapata said.