Page 3 – Music is everything: Listening to music helps students with school work

They say that music is a distraction. To some, it’s a way to focus in class and take their minds off of things.

“A lot of the time, it helps me drown out the sounds from the other people in class, so it helps me focus,” junior Zoey Williams said.

Test anxiety is an issue that students struggle with, and music can be used as a tool to cope. 

“When I am taking tests, the tests usually allow us students to listen to music, and it helps with test anxiety,” sophomore Kaelyn Kissack said.

One may need to study to prepare for those tests. Music can help people focus and get their work done.

“To distract myself, usually upbeat stuff, but for studying, it’s usually classical music,” Williams said.

For some, music is a distraction from their surroundings and a way to tune out the rest of the world, even if it’s only for a couple of minutes.

“It (music) actually helps me focus, but usually I kind of just tune it out so it’s like background noise,” junior Kiera Valentine said.

Music helps students cope, some teachers support it. They think that it helps the students pay attention to their work and get it done.

I think if music is important to someone, listening while studying can help learning by enhancing mental wellbeing  and also reducing anxiety. I have seen this happen in my own children and realize the importance it can have on my students,” geometry teacher Stacy Pinkterton said.

Although it helps students focus, there is a time and a place for it.

“I do believe music has no purpose during lessons and lectures. The brain needs to give all its attention to learning the new material and music during this time does not allow this,” Pinkerton said.