Page 3: Taylor Swift: Love Vs. Hate: All you need to know about Billboard’s Top Artist of 2024

Whether you love her or hate her, Taylor Swift is a popstar sensation who has caused a lot of controversy.

Her love life has recently been at the forefront with her most recent boyfriend, Travis Kelce.

“They are so cute, and she is absolutely not overhyped. I just think people don’t even listen to her enough,” junior Emily Collins said.

Though some have said that Swift is ruining the NFL, for example, in a story from Medium.com called “Taylor Swift is Ruining NFL Football for Me” by Jason Provencio. 

“I feel as though Taylor has ruined the NFL because she’s taking all too often panning the camera away from the game and onto her face,” sophomore Jonas Petrusevicius said.

Multiple sources, such as Yahoo Sports, Kansas City Star, and Popcrush, said Swift was on screen for roughly 25 seconds at each game she attended.

Swift is currently on her “Eras Tour” during which her net worth has increased from $7.4 million at the start to $1.1 billion.

The Eras Tour is a concert consisting of songs from all her albums: Taylor Swift, Fearless, Speak Now, Red, 1989, Reputation, Lover, Evermore, and Midnights. 

“My favorite song is “How You Get the Girl” from 1989,” senior Gill Noffert said. “1989 is her best album, in my opinion.” 

As the tour progressed, Swift produced a movie about it, directed by Sam Wrench, called Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour. It was released on Oct.1, 2023, and made $261.7 million at the box office.

Over the years, Swift has explored many music genres, mainly country and pop. Because of this, some people favor “old Taylor” and “new Taylor.”

“I’m in the middle of her. I like some of her songs, and much of that enjoyment is attributed to nostalgia, especially with her earlier releases like Self Titled, Fearless, and Red. While I enjoy her music and respect her influence no doubt, I think that there are nuanced conversations to be had about her status,” Noffert said.

Since the tour started, Swifties (Swift’s fandom) have started many trends on TikTok, such as era outfits and concert chants. Due to that, some people have labeled her as overhyped.

“Yes, absolutely, she’s overhyped. My feeling on this comes from the gripes I mentioned and also the fact that her recent albums, with the exception of Midnights, have felt so empty recently, like munching on the crust of a gutted baguette. It’s corporate pop marketed as indie folk, with none of the literary prowess or independent nature essential to the genre. I know that sounds snotty, but frankly, I don’t care,” Noffert said.

Swift announced her upcoming album, The Tortured Poets Department, during the 2024 Grammys award.

In a survey of 156 students, 30.9% said they were at least somewhat excited about the newest album.

The album is set to be released on April 19, 2024.