Page 6 – Coaches shape student-athletes for success

As a coach, developing solid relationships with players is priceless for building a successful team.

“Although money can be a big motivation for coaches at the high major college and professional levels, for a high school coach, it certainly is not,” head basketball coach Brett Flory said.” The relationships you build last a lifetime. Those bonds are what make all of the work worthwhile.”

Although coaching seems easy to do, it’s quite the opposite.

Head softball coach Christine Weve agrees that coaching takes a lot of focus.

“Ultimately, every coach wants to win the big game. Coaching is more than that,” Weve said. 

Assistant cross country coach Amber Chapman understands that everybody is different and doesn’t expect much.

“Every year, I just want the kids to go out and give me one hundred percent,” Chapman said. “They are human, and so everyone’s one hundred percent will look different from person to person, and sometimes even day to day for the same person.”

A coach’s encouragement can create motivation for student-athletes. 

Sophomore Analicia Lopez loves throwing in Track and Field because the coaches push her to improve.

“My goal is to be the best and place at every meet. I have such a love for throwing because when I throw really far it makes me feel accomplished and very happy with myself,” said Lopez.

You can’t really force an athlete to make them better; it’s the thought and time into trying that count. 

Head cross country and swim coach Jimmy Adams believes no athlete should be disappointed if they don’t perform as well.

“We just want them to be the best they can be. We can’t control anything else. We just coach,” Adams said.

Junior Leah Rogers feels appreciated for how far she’s gotten and is grateful for her swim coaches.

“I appreciate my coaches pushing me to get faster. I love swimming so much because I love to be around my friends and do the sports we love together,” Rogers said.