College coming FAFSA than you think

Mya Studyvin

With graduation seven months away, seniors have begun applying for colleges and scholarships. 

Filling out a FAFSA application should be at the top of their priority list, according to counselor Joaquin Zapata.

“I tell everyone to apply,” Zapata said. “If you’re going to a bigger school, it’s going to cost more. And if you have brothers and sisters in college or you have a big family, it might be in your favor to apply even if your parents have some money.”

“… If you’re not in that great of a situation, say you’re on free or reduced lunch, that would be an indicator saying maybe this would be a good idea to get done soon.”

FAFSA provides government financial aid to college students all over the country. Student loans are also offered at a reduced interest rate through FAFSA. 

As soon as registration opens, parents and schools are notified in order to give students a head-start on applying.

“FAFSA provides money based on your parent’s income, so I’ll just see how much I get from that,” said senior Chloe Brown, who did the FAFSA application. “I’m also applying for other scholarships, so it’s just a way to cover all my bases.” 

If you qualify, FAFSA can provide up to $5,800 in scholarships a year — which can prove to be a significant help for any family or individual putting a student through college.