Page 4: Fall athletes recognized during Derby Night Lights

Samantha Perez

There was a sea of green and white on the Panther Stadium football field during Derby Night Lights on Aug. 26 as football players from second grade on up to both middle schools and all the high school teams stretched together.

The Derby community was together — whether it was residents, family members or students — in the renovated stadium. The school district invested $7 million of bond money into the renovated stadium, which includes new restrooms, new concession stand, new fan shop, new bleachers and press box.

“I’m very impressed,” sophomore Olivia Walton said. “It’s a good difference we needed.” 

Derby Night Lights is a chance for all fall athletes to be recognized, while also including AFJROTC, marching band, cheerleaders and the dance team, with a backdrop of football on the field. 

Due to Covid-19 in 2020, Derby Night Lights was canceled. So the celebration in August was even more anticipated. 

“I’m just glad it is very big and (open),” freshman Cadence Rebert said.

Of course, there was a constant line at the concession stand. People brought their money for the snacks and drinks. 

The heat was overwhelming, but the snocones were refreshing.

Athletes arrived at 5:30 p.m., and all football teams scrimmaged against each other on the artificial turf that includes a ‘D’ as the new midfield logo.

“Not going to lie, I kind of am excited about the new field,” senior Logan Denis said.

The cheerleaders and Pantherettes walked around the open area near the new entrance and the concession stand, smiling enthusiastically while handing out the pom poms to anyone at the game.

There were multiple middle school fights, where a swarm of kids ran in and out from underneath the bleachers, either screaming or recording the fights. 

No surprise, there was a ton of people. 

“I assumed it was gonna be so crowded, and my expectations were definitely fulfilled,” junior Chloe Palivan said.