The New Additions to Derby High School

Approximately 124 teachers fill the school this year, 14 of which are new staff members. From the new assistant principal to the new debate teacher, they have all met at one point ready to be apart of Derby’s history.

“I knew the staff and students here were talented, but it is so awesome to see it up close and personal,” Wendy Donaldson said.

Even though they are new to Derby, doesn’t mean they don’t have some years of know how to teach high schoolers under their belt.

“I taught at Belle Plaine High School for seven years before coming here,” Natalie Kerr said. “Derby has a reputation of being top-notch in everything they do, and I wanted to be apart of that.”

From the outside, Derby has many aspects that  stand out, and from the perspective of a new teacher to the district, many feelings could be expressed.

“DHS just seemed like a nice place to be,” Rachael Walker said. “It has proven to be very friendly and welcoming.”

Another thing that could  stand out are the assorted traditions that Derby High School has.

“I love the bell tradition that Derby has, where freshmen touch the bell and seniors ring the bell,” Kerr said. “I think it’s a great tradition and also a great way to blend the school’s history with today’s students.”

What ever the reason may be that the new teachers joined staff, it is giving everyone a new learning experience.

“It was time to make some changes, and I had heard exciting things about DHS’s programs,” Donaldson said.

-Sara Wallace 

Mrs. Walker takes attendance in her sophomore english class.
Rachael Walker takes attendance in her sophomore english class.
English teacher Mrs. Kerr explains a chart for her freshmen.
English teacher Natalie Kerr explains a chart to her freshmen.