Derby Blood Drive

The Red Cross set up shop in the DHS wrestling gym on Oct. 3, and approximately 56 students each donated a pint of their own blood. Every year the high school hosts two blood drives, one in the fall and one in the spring.

“It was pretty cool. The nurse was really nice, and she was talking to me and then it was over before I knew it. It was a really easy process,” first-time donor Alaysha Monk said.

Before signing up to donate, it’s best to check the Red Cross website to make sure one meets all of the donor requirements. First and foremost, it’s vital that donors are feeling well and are in good health the day they donate.

The minimum age to donate is 17, or 16 with parents consent, and donors should weigh at least 110 pounds in order to have a safe and healthy donation.

In order to properly prepare for blood donation, it is imperative that donors drink plenty of fluids and eat healthy, at least a week before their scheduled donation time.

“Definitely eat a good breakfast,” Monk said.

Donating on an empty stomach is never a good idea and can lead to some serious complications.

Even though the thought of having their blood drawn can be scary for some, the Red Cross workers and volunteers do their best to make the experience as positive as possible for donors.

“They can talk you through it and find distractions to help you avoid thinking about it,” said senior Tara Greiving. “Sign up, even if you are hesitant, just give it a try.”

According the The Red Cross website, every two seconds someone in the U.S. needs a blood transfusion. By taking the time each fall and spring to donate, students are able to help save lives.

“A lot of our blood is used to go towards patients in the hospital that might need blood transfusions…Definitely giving the gift of life for those who need it So that’s why it’s very important for donors and volunteers to come in,” a Red Cross Collections Technician said.

-Addison Joyce 

Senior Tataum Benway listens to music while getting getting her blood drawn for the blood drive.
Senior Tataum Benway listens to music while getting getting her blood drawn for the blood drive. Photo by Morgan Malmquist.