Band spreads holiday cheer while fundraising

Kyle DeVault

When people think about Christmas carolers, they usually picture singers on doorsteps or in city squares, but holiday shoppers in Derby might encounter a less traditional form of caroling. 

Members of the Derby High marching band have formed several small ensembles that are “caroling” at local businesses and events to help fundraise for their upcoming trip to Disney World in Florida over spring break. 

“I think the response has been really positive in the community,” Band Director Rachel Villareale said. “People connected to the band have enjoyed following them to different caroling sites and seeing the students perform, and community members have been pleasantly surprised to find us out and about as well.”

Adam DeVault, director of bands, said with 57 students signed up for the trip, the total trip cost is just under $100,000, so their fundraising goals are high to make sure the trip is affordable for those who want to go.

Ensembles have played at Dillons, Pine Lake Christmas Tree Farm, Shirts Plus and Lowes, as well as at Derby’s annual Christmas tree lighting and a Rotary Club meeting. Many of the organizations gave a donation, and the groups have put out donation jars for individuals to donate, too.

“These are labor intensive because they require extensive planning and student, staff, and parent involvement, but they have also engaged the community in our efforts and I believe this has created a more open understanding to our overall needs. So far we have been able to raise $3034 in donation/tips,” president of the Derby Band Boosters Krista Cotterill said. 

The band has also done a few other fundraisers that the community is more used to. 

“The Band/Boosters have been working hard to raise funds using several different methods this year,” Cotterill said. “We used the traditional Popcorn and Carriage Crossing Pie sales, which are always customer favorites. For the first time in several years, we did a “Pass the Hat” event at a couple of home football games where we were able to $1685, which is enough to pay for one full travel fare.”

At Disney World, the band students will represent Derby by marching in a Main Street parade. They will also rehearse with professional Disney musicians and record a short soundtrack over a Disney movie.

“The band is a huge part of our education system. Not only the marching band, but the concert, symphonic, wind ensemble, and jazz bands,” Cotterill said.