Panthers dominate Salina South on senior night

Kaitlyn Sanders

The Panthers (6-1) played more underclassmen on senior night during the second half against the Salina South Cougars (1-6) in a 59-14 win on Friday night.

Junior Hunter Igo started again at quarterback, with sophomore Grant Adler sitting out the last two games after an injury against Bishop Carroll.

Junior quarterback Hunter Igo against Goddard-Eisenhower Sept. 1.

The game started with an early safety for the Panthers on a tackle by junior Cade Lindsey after a snap went sideways for the Cougars.

The rest of the first quarter boded well for Derby after senior Brody Kooser ran 16 yards for a touchdown and Igo ran for four yards, giving Derby a 16-0 lead.

The second quarter sailed smoothly for the Panthers with score after score.

There was another short touchdown run from Igo, another safety, a 4-yard touchdown pass to senior Jack Taylor, senior Michael Littleton’s first touchdown of the season with a 33-yard catch, and an almost identical touchdown from senior Tyler Brown.

The Cougars finally scored at the start of the third quarter with an 80-yard touchdown bringing the score to 46-7.

Derby freshman quarterback Lem Wash played his first varsity game, contributing two touchdowns.

Sophomore Tre Washington playing against Goddard-Eisenhower Sept. 1.

Wash’s first was a 51-yard touchdown pass to sophomore Tre Washington in the third, and his first rushing touchdown during the fourth.

The Panthers play at Campus (4-3) on Oct. 20 in the final game of the regular season. Campus beat Hutchinson 34-7 on Friday, its first win over the Salthawks since 1999.