Page 4 – Reeling it in: Fishing club brings fun: competition for all

The fishing club has created an environment that welcomes those who love the outdoors. 

“I had a handful of kids who came to me and said ‘we’d like to start a club and we need a sponsor, will you be our sponsor?’ And I said yes because I like fishing and I like being outside,” English teacher Matt VanBoening said.

The club meets for regular outings at different locations nearby. 

“You get to go fishing with your friends,” sophomore Jack Wagner said.

The group competes in tournaments against other clubs in Kansas. 

“We go to the lake the day before. You wake up about four in the morning and then you go out and fish for like 14 hours,” sophomore Dylan Rotramel said.

The club had two tournaments in October and two more in April. 

These competitions take much longer than regular outings. 

“Say the outings (8 a.m.-noon) at the golf course – some people show up late, some people show up whenever. You show up whenever, leave whenever,” sophomore Noah DeVault said. “On tournaments they go really long – it’s all day and you get back at night.”

After the tournaments, they collect their fish and find out which team got the most. 

“You weigh all of the fish at the end and then release them,” Wagner said. “The winning team gets a prize.”

Many people found their love of fishing with their family and loved the opportunity to take it to high school. 

“My grandpa fishes, my dad fishes, they all love it,” DeVault said. “I started fishing when I was really young. I got to the high school and I was like ‘hey I already do it, why not do it with other people that love it?’”

Some found their interest in fishing through their friends, and the club was a great way to continue and connect with others. 

“It was something me and my friends have done since we were younger. We would fish at ponds in Derby,” Rotramel said. 

It doesn’t matter if you love fishing or have never done it before, because the fishing club has a spot for you. 

“Anyone is welcome to come out, I don’t care who you are or what you do, its just an opportunity to get outside and do something different. If you like fishing and know fishing and all of that, but other than that, anyone is welcome,” VanBoening said.