The Student News Site of Derby High School

Panther's Tale

Panther's Tale

Panther's Tale

Tennis has third coach in three years

For the third straight year, the tennis team has a new coach. 

Former math teacher Dennis Burns was the team’s head coach before changing career paths. David Dunn from Tanglewood Elementary School took over for the 2023 season. 

Kristen Regier took over for the 2024 season and isn’t planning on leaving soon.

“I think having three coaches helped us learn in many different ways, but it was hard to adjust to a new coach every year,” junior Collin Bale said.

Instability at the head coach position has caused confusion, with some coaches not being able to keep track of rankings and wins. This year there will be a new system implemented and a culture that hopes to bring good and stable tennis to Derby.

“I personally think coach Regier is great because she will bring in respectable tennis players who will become greater than we ever were,” senior Coen Sowden said.

Sowden, who worked closely with Regier since summer and dating back to his playing days in middle school, is excited for the future of the tennis program. 

“She’s different from previous coaches by preparing me right, especially the biggest difference being how she helped my confidence throughout a match,” junior Tyler Bradt said.

Through three years of coaching turmoil, Derby has found its coach. In less than one year as the boys and girls head coach, Regier has made a mark on the program and is establishing her legacy.