Derby Night Lights a family atmosphere for whole community

Photo by Grace Reich

Sidney Gore

The Derby family reunited once again at Derby Night Lights.

From 5:30-9:00 Thursday night, members of the Derby community came and enjoyed concessions including hamburgers, soft pretzels, and nachos. With a welcoming face from members of the Derby High School, students were more than happy to serve concessions and make the night even better.

Photo by Grace Reich

This night did not only hold football but high school students involved in other sports walked down the track and waved to the stands as they heard their name being called. Students in the student sections cheered and hollered at their friends as they walked.

However the food and joy and in the stands was nothing compared to the heart on the field. Football players anywhere from the little kids hardly understanding the game, all the way up to experienced high schoolers each had their fair share of time on the field to scrimmage.

Photo by Grace Reich

Toward the middle of the event, every football player on the field performed stretches and showed the true definition of family.

“The fact that our teams are so close just makes everyone feel like family,” Abby Clingan said.

While the players were stretching, many people took photos or video of the scene. People walking to their seat or to the concession stand slowed down and turned their heads to watch.

“Seeing all of them on the field makes me feel good to be part of such a great team and that the future of Derby football is looking bright,” Jaidyn Schomp said.

Derby is not just another town but more like family.

Photo by Grace Reich