Manis: Concert Band review

Klaudia Manis

In one way or another, music is incorporated into our lives.
Tuesday’s well-anticipated band concert pushed to further bring people together with the power of music.
The concert started with a performance from Derby High School’s Concert Band,
conducted by both Travis Keller and Adam DeVault.
Concert Band opened with Encanto by Robert W. Smith, a rhythmic fanfare which was led by
Keller. Two more pieces followed, including longing folksong, While I Watch The Yellow Wheat by Larry Daehn and Hebrides Suite: 1. The Peat-Fire Flame, part of a four part movement composed by Clare Grundman.
Following came a performance by the Symphonic Band, which was conducted by Keller.
Starting with a ceremonial piece, the band played National Emblem March by E.E.
Bagley. The group then proceeded onto On A Hymnsong of Philip Bliss, a smooth, melodic
composition by David R. Holsinger. Finally came Joy, a composition by Frank Ticheli in
dedication of his daughter, Hannah.
One particular member of the band had only positive vibes to spread.
“I think it went pretty good,” said freshman Rebecca Kooser. “I really enjoyed these
pieces and I’m excited to take them to festivals. It’s going to be fun to see how far this music will
take us.”
The last band to perform was Derby High’s Wind Ensemble, guided by DeVault.
Beginning with the upbeat tune of Mock Morris by Percy Grainger, One Life Beautiful by Julie Giroux followed. To end the night, the wind ensemble played The Footlifter, a march by Henry Fillmore.
Wind Ensemble members ended the night with an upbeat tempo, one in particular feeling better about the event than expected.
“I think the band concert went well,” said freshman Annelise Thompson. “It was
unfortunate not having a lot of time to work together as a class, but we made it work as a band.”
The Derby High School bands each have one remaining concert during the 2019 school
year. The most passionate band students cannot wait to start learning new pieces.