Students disappointed to miss final weeks of school

Alyssa Lai, Copy Editor

Gov. Laura Kelly closed all Kansas school for in-person learning on March 17 for the rest of the school year due to COVID-19. 

Student’s reactions to the news came flooding in from every social media outlet. 

Disappointed seniors stood out. 

“These are just crazy times,” senior Jacob Karsak said. “I don’t even know what to think. It’s so sad knowing I won’t have my senior prom and a normal graduation. I understand the reason why, I just wish it could’ve been normal. This is all in God’s control and all we can do is put our trust, fear and anxiety in him.”

Senior Ludovica Quercioli, a foreign exchange student, is devastated because she won’t be able to finish the typical American high school experience she anticipated.

“I’m very sad because I didn’t say bye to all my friends, the teachers and all of the stuff at the high school,” she said. “I’m going to miss prom and graduation, two big events that could make my experience in the U.S. even better than it already is.”

However, the cancellation of the school year didn’t surprise Quercioli.

“I’m not very surprised because my friends in Italy are quarantined at home and doing online classes for two weeks,” she said. “There, people can’t really do anything.”

Sophomore Audrey Steinert is sympathetic towards the seniors.

“I think that deciding to end school has caused a lot of mixed emotions from people,” Steinert said. “Like, yeah it’s exciting that we don’t have school. But people are missing out on so much. Spring sports, prom, graduation and everything else people do in high school.”

Spring sports have also been canceled, as well, which upset senior Erika Hernandez. 

“I was waiting for so many great things to happen this last semester,” Hernandez said. “For example, I was really excited for my last track season. Unfortunately, it’s not going to happen. It’s really devastating for most of us as we are expecting an amazing senior year. For the most part, I’m sad about how we won’t be able to see many people we’ve met throughout our high school career and how we might not have a chance to walk through Koch Arena (for graduation).”

Although prom, spring sports and graduation are important, senior Nick Bonner is going to miss the high school itself.

“I feel bad that I didn’t know the last time I walked out of Derby was going to be my last,” he said.