Page 4: Waughtal: Online is getting tiring

Haley Waughtal, Content Editor

Remote learning was popular during the 2019-2020 school year due to Covid-19. Because the state shut down in-school learning, grades were frozen and school became much easier.

I have been stuck in quarantine all year because of the risk of getting Covid and bringing it home to my family.

Yes, online learning is good, but the negatives are difficult to deal with. 

The issues I experienced in September still happen, specifically procrastination.

Much of my time in online classes is spent sitting in bed partially listening to the lesson due to my complete lack of needing to pay attention. Much of my lessons are put onto Canvas after the class is over. I often teach myself the lesson over again because I decided not to listen during class. 

This isn’t always hard, but sometimes it does cause issues. I miss little things the teachers may have mentioned that weren’t on Canvas, and this causes trouble on the tests later. 

As long as I have turned in my work, then I am good. This causes me to do the assignments carelessly, simply in an effort to make the due date. Sometimes I turn it in unfinished. 

Another problem with being online is the Internet issues. Watching videos is a big part of class. While these are watched during class, most of the time I do not get everything I need for the assignment. 

Teachers link the video, but I can’t access them on my Chromebook because YouTube is blocked. Links do not seem to show up on the Canvas app for the phone. All of these things really take a toll on my mental health. 

Human contact is not happening because of Covid-19, making me lose interest in things. 

I used to be passionate about band. I loved playing jazz and was actually good at it. Now with Covid-19 I have not touched my trombone in over a year. 

I kept trying to get marching band on my schedule, but it never happened. The fun was just taken away. 

Losing what I’m passionate about because I can’t be a part of it has resulted in a growing resentment, so I don’t even try.

I, like many others, just want this pandemic to be over so we can spend our time in high school doing teenage things.