Time for change: Politicians consider daylight saving time

Agness Mbezi, Copy Editor

Losing an hour of sleep, gaining an hour back, and trying to align the time with the sun and moon can seem like too much work for some people. 

This has caused many to wonder if time change is necessary, or is it time to change something that’s been observed for decades. 

“There is a point to change the time, I guess, depending on the seasons obviously, but like why don’t we just have the same time all of the time, and then wouldn’t lose an hour or gain an hour,” sophomore Kaitlyn Ruiz said. 

On March 15, the Senate unanimously passed the Sunshine Protection Act. If passed, this bill would make Daylight Saving time occur throughout the entire year, and end falling an hour back towards the end of the year. 

In order for the bill to be enacted, it still must be passed by the House of Representatives and then onto President Joe Biden, so a change could be on the way. 

“I hate Daylight Savings because it’s dark at like 7 a.m., and I don’t like that. The sun has to be out for me to function. We should just stick to one time, so that it won’t be so dark so early,” junior Issa Hernandez said. 

Changing the clocks twice a year isn’t that controversial as some may believe. 

“I mean I don’t see why exactly you wouldn’t just change time because that’s just what we have always done,” sophomore Taylor Kellogg said.