Pajama pants pandemic sweeps across DHS

Nik Shay, Design Team

Vest or t-shirt. Docs or slippers. Cargo pants or pajama pants. 

While the end of the semester draws near, many students have opted to take the comfy route for their burnt out, stressed school days. 

“I only wear sweats if I’m having a bad mental health day or work up too late to put an outfit together,” senior Tayla Ahlf said. “…School is tiring. It’s good to have some sort of comfort throughout the day.”

For others like junior Haven Wirsig-Stout, it’s all about comfort, not what anyone else thinks. 

“I wear them because they are comfortable and an easy go-to outfit,” she said. “It’s clothes and it’s comfortable.”

However, sometimes pajama pants become too simple. 

“I don’t wear them because most of them are too small, like middle school. I’m just wearing them to sleep so there’s no reason to get new ones,” Ahlf said. “Also I think it’s fun to get dressed up. I don’t have many other places to wear nicer clothes.”

Though for senior Kael Laselva, who has a matching pair with his girlfriend, Wirsig-Stout, it’s easy after early mornings. 

“They’re the easiest to put on after a workout,” he said. “I go straight from there to school everyday.”

With the question of professionalism in the school dress code, it seems as though pajama pants don’t fall into a category. 

The dress code has become a

hot button topic among students, creating a students view and administration view under what should and shouldn’t be allowed. 

“I don’t think it fits under professionalism but I don’t agree with most of the dress code anyways,” Ahlf said. “We’re a bunch of kids learning in classrooms all day not going to corporate meetings so I don’t see why anyone wouldn’t allow pajama pants.”

Many have become more accepting of different forms of clothing.

While pajama pants have become an epidemic, there is still some stigma around them. 

“I think pajama pants are acceptable to wear,” Laselva said. “Pre-established social norms with close to no reasoning behind them are pointless. There’s no reason sweatpants with a plaid design should off as disrespectful to staff.”