The Student News Site of Derby High School

Panther's Tale

Panther's Tale

Panther's Tale

The Clarks

As senior quarterback Braxton Clark enters his final season with the Panthers, his family has supported him on and off the field. 

Braxton’s father Brandon Clark has been the head coach for Panther football since age 25, but his roles at home and on the field have not converged until Braxton’s senior year playing as first string quarterback. 

“It’s a very special year, one of the most special years that I’ve had as a coach,” Brandon said.

Braxton’s mother Courtney Clark has worked as a counselor at DHS for many years as well, supporting her team and now her family from the stands. As a mother and wife, Courtney finds pride in her family’’s role on the team.

“I feel… proud but very nervous. We’ve done this a really long time so there has been a lot of anticipation from my boys to play. So, yes it’s exciting, but I know there is a lot of pressure,” Courtney said. 

While being a coach’s son can come with its challenges, Braxton feels that his father’s influence has helped him in the game. 

“I know he coaches me a bit harder than the rest of the players,” Braxton said. “It feels good with him being my coach. He’s a good coach to me on and off the field. I know I get a lot from him with film studies at home and stuff.”