Students show mixed feelings about cold weather

Shaye Comes, Content Editor

On Feb. 7, the weather took a turn for the worse. Temperatures dropped significantly, and snow and ice covered the parking lots.

According to KAKE News, the expected highest possible temperature for Sunday is 5 degrees, with a bitter low of minus four, compared to last week, with temperatures in the mid fifties and low sixties. 

Many students were upset that even due to this wintry weather, school was neither delayed, canceled or changed to remote only. Numerous nearby districts decided to move to remote for the week, as the delayed travel and risk of accidents is more likely. 

“I am upset we didn’t go remote because I think it would have just been easier with the weather and for all of the kids who have to walk to school in the freezing cold,” junior Lauryn Jones said. 

Students slipping and sliding in their cars before and after school poses quite the threat to not only other students, but the rest of the driving community in Derby. 

Students riding buses are forced to walk to their bus stop in frigid temperatures and with sidewalks covered with ice, making the trip to school all the more difficult and dangerous. 

Remote students may not care much about the weather since they are already home, but in-person students who must go to school are frustrated. 

“I am remote, so I’ve been limiting my driving anyways, but more so than usual since the roads have been bad,” junior Nicole McKee said. 

Not everyone is concerned with the cold, though.

“It may be in the negative degrees, but I’m still gonna wear shorts every day,” senior Nathan Jolly said.