Panthers football rolls over unbeaten Hutchinson

Derby wins second straight game, scoring 46 unanswered

Kaitlyn Sanders

The Panthers ended Hutchinson’s three-game winning streak, beating their rivals 61-18 on Friday.

Derby trailed 18-15 before scoring 46 unanswered points to improve to 3-1.

“The spark didn’t come at the beginning like we were hoping for,” Panthers coach Brandon Clark said after the game.

Sophomore Grant Adler started his second straight game as starting quarterback, once again playing until the fourth quarter, similar to the win against Maize on Sept. 15.

Adler put the first points on the board at 10:21, and Hutch responded 13 seconds later already tying the game 7-7.

Senior Tyler Brown, who scored his first touchdown against Maize, added two more on Friday. One of his scores was on an 82-yard run with 3:58 to go in the first.

Junior Jacob Ormsby picked up a Hutch fumble and ran 65 yards with 2:37 left in the second quarter.

The Panthers dominated the third quarter, while the Salthawks’ meaningful possession resulted in a missed field goal.

Senior Brody Kooser scored two out of his three touchdowns of the night at the start and end of the third quarter.

To start the fourth, freshman Davin Simms came in at quarterback. Sophomore Tre Washington scored two touchdowns a minute apart towards the end of the fourth quarter, adding on to the already 30-point lead.

The passionate Derby student section was already standing behind the panther end zone with 3:35 still left in the game.