Derby fights for three-peat

Derby has won the last two Class 6A titles and three of the last four

Kaitlyn Sanders

Set, hike and boom. He has already found an open player in the end zone. He’s quick, avoiding tackles in the pocket. And he has a strong arm, too.

It’s Derby junior quarterback Hunter Igo.

In the Panthers’ 53-41 win over Wichita Northwest (10-2) on Friday, he showcased all those things, even with a toe injury that worsened throughout the game.

Junior quarterback Hunter Igo ready to throw the ball to a teammate against Wichita Northwest Nov. 17.

“I think it was just the adrenaline that made it not really feel like it was there,” Igo said. “But I could still feel it every once in awhile when I’d go off to the sideline and whenever I wasn’t in the game.

“But when I was in and the adrenaline was rushing, it wasn’t really noticeable.”

Even with turf toe, it didn’t stop him from playing safety, as well.

“The coach wanted me to play (defense), and with my foot being hurt, I kind of said I’ll do as much as I can on defense and play offense the whole time,” Igo said. “But I just wanted to win, so I did what I did.”

In Igo’s first season, he has helped lead Derby into the Class 6A state title game for the third straight season and fourth in five years. The Panthers (11-1) face the Blue Valley North Mustangs (8-4) at 1 p.m. Nov. 25 at Emporia State.

BV North may have four losses in the regular season, but don’t be fooled because the season only got better from there.

“We watched film, we watched every game and they are legit. There is a reason why they’re in state,” Derby coach Brandon Clark said.

Mustangs quarterback junior Graham Mertz has already committed to Wisconsin.

“He can throw the ball really well, but he’s only a junior, so I feel like he’s still got some things to learn, and our defense should be able keep him back,” senior Brady Walls said.

Senior Brady Walls after he catches the ball against Wichita Northwest Nov. 17.

Compared to Igo, who has 2,000 combined rushing and passing yards, Mertz has 3,000 passing yards with 41 touchdowns.

But Igo also hasn’t started in every game this season; he shared the quarterback position with sophomore Grant Adler early in the season.

Igo embraced the role of quarterback in Week 6 after Adler’s injury against Bishop Carroll on Sept. 29, and teammates can sense his leadership.

“He’s a great leader, too. He acts like a senior, he plays like a senior,” sophomore Aaron Larson said.

Clark and Walls both agree Igo shows leadership by his actions.

“He’s just a leader, and the kids want to follow him and he wants to lead and he doesn’t do it by telling people that he’s a leader. He does it by his actions off the field and on the field,” Clark said.

“Golly it was fun to see.” Derby coach Brandon Clark said after the win against Wichita Northwest Nov. 17.Sophomores have stepped up big this season, including Larson, who has scored several touchdowns.

“It means a lot, a great opportunity to play… I was just excited I got in the end zone. It’s crazy I scored as a sophomore, and then everybody’s going crazy,” Larson said.

Sophomore Aaron Larson passes the ball to senior Brody Kooser (not pictured) during a trick play against Lawrence Free State Nov. 10.The seniors continue to improve while also using their experience to help younger players.

“The seniors, they’ve had heart,” Clark said. “This is a senior-led program. We always let our seniors lead… It’s a very selfless group. They’ve done a really good job of learning their role and in doing it well the best that they can, but their leadership has been amazing.”

Even facing the final big game of the season, practices haven’t been completely serious.

“It will be kind of serious at times but also try to have a little fun, be a little more relaxed so we’re not too stressed out during the game but also stick with our focus,” Walls said.

The team’s competitiveness keeps them from getting ahead of themselves before Saturday.

“They want it bad, and when you got a team that believes in each other and wants it that bad it’s easy to be focused because they want to win,” Clark said “You don’t have to preach to them about wanting to win — they already have that in them.

“And they know that it takes Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday this week to win on Saturday.”

Playing in your first state game is better when you get to experience what your brother has before. Igo watched his older brother, Tanner, who graduated in May, win.

“It’s pretty cool, my brother’s played in a couple, so it’s cool to see what he says about it. And now finally actually playing in one, it will be even better,” Igo said.

State games aren’t anything new for the seniors, adding to the nostalgia of it being the last time.

“It will be kind of bittersweet. I mean it’s cool I’m finally here as a senior and being able to play in the state game, but then again it also kind of sucks as being our last game that I’ll end up playing,” Walls said.

The goal is a third straight state title, but Clark is also looking for something beyond the scoreboard.

“The growth. I’ve seen so much growth from this team from Week 1 to now Week 13. They’ve grown so much and I’m excited to see because I think there’s gonna be some growth from Week 12 and Week 13,” Clark said.

Adler, who has missed seven consecutive games due to a collarbone injury, might play on Saturday.

“There is a chance. But we don’t know. He hasn’t been cleared yet,” Clark said. “He’s been cleared to do some non-contact stuff. He may get cleared this week, but we aren’t 100 percent sure.”

With the seniors’ third trip to Emporia, and fans watching two championship teams succeed before, there’s a lot of excitement to go around.

“The kids are excited, the community is excited, the parents are excited, the school’s excited. Take all that excitement and add it to our excitement — it’s a lot,” Clark said.